Locating Odors & Gas Leaks
- Gas Leaks: How Do You Know If You Have A Gas Leak?
- Odor Issues: Bad Smells Getting You Down?
- Smoke Out the Odor
- Why Smoke Tests Are Tops for Leak & Odor Hunting
- Call Art for All Your Odors or Gas Leaks
If you have a lurking odor in your home or a strong smell of gas that you can’t track down, it’ time to call for help. Odor and gas leak-locating specialists from Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric use top of the line equipment that makes it simple to find the cause of the leak and fix it.
Gas Leaks: How Do You Know If You Have A Gas Leak?
The gas we use in our homes is invisible which makes it impossible to see when there is a leak. There are, however, other signs to look for that will warn you of a gas leak problem.
Feeling Sick? You Might Have A Minor Gas Leak
Small leaks may not be potent enough for you to smell the gas in the air or see the signs in your home. Gas reduces the amount of oxygen available in the air and this will affect you physically. If you, your family, or your pets come down with sudden symptoms that have no medical explanations, you may have a gas leak. These are the most common gas inhalation symptoms to keep an eye out for.
- Eye irritation
- Scratchy throat
- Extreme fatigue
- Breathing difficulty
- Blisters (if skin touches the gas in a liquid or compressed form)
- Pale skin
5 Signs of A Large Gas Leak
Gas is used in many homes to heat water, for cooking and to run other home appliances. While small gas leaks will need to be fixed, large gas leaks can have dangerous consequences for your family’s health and safety and will need to be repaired urgently. These are the five signs that point to a leak that requires immediate action.
- The smell of rotting eggs or sulfur.
- The sound of whistling or hissing close to a gas line.
- Visible damage to a gas line or any of the connectors.
- Dust blowing, a white cloud, or standing water that bubbles.
- If your plants start dying or die suddenly.
What to Do If You Suspect A Large Gas Leak
If the signs and symptoms of a gas leak come on suddenly and strongly, you could be dealing with a large leak. These are particularly dangerous as exposure to large amounts of gas can lead to unconsciousness or death. Big gas leaks are also responsible for explosions and devastating home fires. If you suspect a large gas leak:
- Avoid using electrical appliances.
- Don’t turn on anything that might create a spark or fire.
- Leave the building, preferably with the doors open.
- Once you are a safe distance away, call 911, the fire department or gas company.
- When the immediate threat is over, call Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electrical to locate and repair the leak.
Odor Issues: Bad Smells Getting You Down?
If your home has lingering bad odors that you can’t locate or get rid of, a professional indoor air quality expert from Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric will be able to help you. They use a number of different methods to locate the source of the bad odor that is bothering you, the most effective being the smoke test.
Smoke Out the Odor
Smoke testing is a simple, but effective way of hunting down the leaks in your sewer system that could be kicking up the stink in your home. The non-toxic smoke is pumped through the plumbing system and identifies the leaking areas as the smoke escapes as a visible plume that you can also smell.
Why Smoke Tests Are Tops for Leak & Odor Hunting
Sewer odors and gas leaks can be caused by big problems with the plumbing pipes, or by simple things such as perished rings and seals. A smoke test removes the guesswork and will lead directly to the issue. It is a quick way to find the problem areas and avoid unnecessary repairs.
Call Art for All Your Odors or Gas Leaks
Whether the leak is big or small, whether it’s gas or foul-smelling air, Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric have a solution for you. With over thirty-five years of experience, our technicians have the tools and expertise to repair your gas or odor leaks and help you keep your family safe.
For leaks and all your residential plumbing services, call us today at 1-800-475-1504.