Search
Trusted South Florida Licensed Plumbing, Air Conditiong & Electrical Experts Since 1983!
EMERGENCY HOTLINE 1-800-475-1504
Standard Rates Apply Mon-Sat 8am-8pm | Sunday – Emergency Service Only

Old Electrical Wiring? No Problem!

old electrical wiring
Reading Time: 2 minutes

You would not be comfortable flying in an outdated airplane, so why would you be comfortable living in a property with old electrical wiring? Put the safety of you and your family first! All the wonderful electrical appliances that make your life easier, make the life of an electrical wire significantly shorter. Reason being is that the extreme load generates considerable heat which can cause outlet shortages, or worse – it could start a fire. Another thing to think about is that if you wish to sell your house then it will likely undergo a safety inspection; old electrical wiring could lead to failure of this inspection.

Many of us live in homes built 20-30 years ago, and this was a time before the widespread use of certain power-guzzling appliances that we take for granted today. Most people have never considered inspecting the condition of the original wiring that carries electricity to power their modern lifestyles, and your circuit may be long overdue for maintenance or a full rewiring.

Identifying Old Electrical Wiring

There are a few common warning signs associated with old wiring that you, as a property owner, can identify. Any of these signs may indicate a safety risk and the need for a repair.

  • Regular Shorting of Breakers and Fuses

    Circuit breakers and fuses are designed to handle a specified level of amperage and if this level is exceeded, the breaker or fuse will trip. While this can be caused by having too many appliances running at one time, it is also possible that there is a short in your circuit’s wiring.

  • Buzzing/Discolored Outlets and Switches

    This is often an indicator of danger, and can be caused by faulty wiring near the outlet or switch that allows electricity to arc and burn the surface of the outlet or switch.

  • Outlets and Switches that Shock You

    Being shocked by your own home is an awful experience and is always an indicator of an electrical problem. A wire connected to the outlet or the outlet itself has lost its insulation and requires immediate repair.

  • Lights that Constantly Flicker or Dim

    Your circuit may be overloaded and turning on a new device leads to the flickering or dimming of your lights. This could also indicate faulty wiring.

Most importantly, do not ignore any of these indicators. Even a small sign of a problem may be the beginning of something more serious.

How to Have It Repaired

Now that you have identified old electrical wiring in your home, it’s time to have it repaired. In doing so, you will improve the safety of your home for you and your family. This is a job that requires professional knowledge in electrical construction and involves several complex tasks. Whether you require a basic service to parts of your electrical wiring, or a full circuit upgrade, the job will involve exposure to live wires and working within the walls of your home. Thankfully, you don’t have to attempt this daunting task yourself.

To avoid frustration and potential injury, hire a professional electrician. This will not only prevent you from potentially burning down your home, but it will also give you peace of mind because you know that your new wiring will meet safety regulations, and won’t cause more problems any time soon.

SHARE ON

 

art plumbing, ac and electric

Schedule a Service Call

For Immediate Emergency Assistance Call 1-800-475-1504

Schedule Service