Reading Time: 3 minutes
can all agree that “Do It Yourself” (DIY) plumbing is generally never
a good idea. Most wannabe
plumbers have ended up causing more damage to the plumbing, and instead of
saving money, they have ended up spending more. The reason most people attempt
plumbing DIY is that they think plumbers charge too much for their efforts.
have a look at how plumbers determine what they are going to charge for a job
so that you can fully understand plumbing repair costs.
Determines Plumbing Repair Costs?
are a few factors that any plumber will take into consideration before giving
you an estimate. One of the main factors will be the size of the job. The cost
will vary between a small, medium and large plumbing job, but how will you know
Small Plumbing Jobs
A small plumbing job will obviously cost you the least. Here are some characteristics of a small plumbing job:
person (plumber) can complete the task alone.
will probably have all the parts he needs in his toolbox.
task can generally be completed in one hour.
of a small plumbing job are: Replacing a tap or valve, installing a new
garbage disposal, connecting a washer to an appliance or washing machine.
Medium Plumbing Jobs
A medium plumbing job will cost you more than a small plumbing job, but less than a large one. There are some major differences between a small and medium plumbing job:
than one person is usually required to complete the task.
person/s need to be more experienced than those needed for a small
parts need to be ordered; they are not parts that a plumber would have in his
toolbox. A medium job also needs more tools and more labor is required.
task will take between 2 – 5 hours to complete.
of medium plumbing jobs are leak detection or water heater replacement.
Large Plumbing Jobs
A large plumbing job will cost more than a small or medium job, and an accurate assessment will need to be carried out before any plumber will give you an estimate. Some characteristics of a large plumbing job are:
larger number of people will be needed to complete the task.
- The plumbers
would have to have special skills and experience.
task is complex and will take a much longer time to complete. Any job that
takes from 6 hours to a few days to complete is considered a large job.
often costly parts, are needed for this job.
of large plumbing jobs are shower
or bathroom repairs or renovations.
From Job Size, Other Factors That Influence Plumbing Repair Costs
are numerous other costs, some unexpected, that will add to your total plumbing
repair bill. Plumbers do their best to provide you with an accurate estimate
but various factors often add to the final amount. Here are a few “hidden”
costs to bear in mind:
plumbers include traveling costs in their estimate, so it is always
beneficial to use a local plumber. If
you choose to use a plumber who is not local, be prepared to pay more,
especially if he has to make numerous trips.
burst pipe or leaking shower that is not attended to quickly can result in
further damage. Knocking through drywall, pulling up tiles, and replacing
ceiling and flooring may not necessarily be performed by the plumber, but
if he is tasked to organize people to do this, it will be added to his
removal or onsite dumpsters will also increase the cost of plumbing
your property is old, correcting onsite violations or removing and
replacing old galvanized piping with PVC will be a cost factor to
To Ensure Plumbing Costs Remain As Low As Possible
plumbing repair comes at a cost, but there are ways to keep the costs as low as
possible while ensuring the job is
- Check references and reviews – Do your homework and find out what other clients have to say about the plumbers’ experience, work ethic, and workmanship. It is best to have done all the investigations before you need a plumber in an emergency.
- Make an accurate list of the repairs you need doing, including all details and in order of importance, so that you can be given an accurate estimate of the costs involved. Establish whether you will be charged for the estimate.
- Ensure the plumber you intend to use is qualified, vetted, licensed and reviewed. A background check can also be done. Using an unqualified plumber, who doesn’t complete the job to specifications, and is unfamiliar with the local, state and National Plumbing Codes, could be a very costly mistake.
- Get the estimated cost upfront and in writing. Clarify if the plumber charges an hourly rate, (bearing in mind that the hours can accumulate rapidly) or a rate to complete the whole job.
- Make sure that the plumber is insured, so that any accidents or mistakes made do not become an extra cost you, the homeowner has to carry.
Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric we are fully licensed and insured and our motto
is “To always be there when you need us.” so contact
us for all your plumbing needs big or small.