Most property owners admit that as long as there is no problem with the electricity, they don’t pay much attention to electrical maintenance. The local handyman, or “Do It Yourself” enthusiast is often called on to repair minor electrical issues, and they, unfortunately, leave a potential fire hazard in their wake.
When called for electrical maintenance, electricians are often horrified by how flippant people are about the dangers of the electrical system. They find that many homes have one or more electrical issues that have been overlooked, but these are the eight most common ones.
Many property owners neglect regular electrical maintenance or inspections unless there is a problem with the electrical power supply. Electricians are often horrified to see how many dangerous electrical issues have been ignored.
Eight overlooked electrical maintenance issues they often find are:
To prevent them from overheating and causing a fire, light bulbs should always be covered or enclosed in a casing. During inspections, electricians often find exposed light bulbs in areas like closets and basements.
Light switches and electrical outlets must always be covered. Electricians often find switches and outlets with broken or cracked covers, and sometimes with no covers at all. Unprotected switches and outlets are dangerous and fire hazards.
Electrical panels need to be installed and maintained by electricians who know what they’re doing. The electrical panel may need to be updated or replaced during remodeling or when adding an extra room to the property.
A circuit breaker is designed for a single wire. During electrical inspections, electricians often find that a DIY enthusiast has double taped two wires into a single circuit breaker. This is a dangerous fire hazard. The connections could easily come loose and arc, causing an electrical fire.
All unused openings in electrical panels should be fitted with blank covers. Electricians often find that the unused openings are left unprotected. This allows dust, pests, and critters to enter the panel, causing electrical shocks and sparks.
On inspection, electricians regularly discover damaged and exposed wires and cables, inside and outside buildings. Leaving wires and cables in that condition is extremely dangerous. People or animals that come into contact with those wires could be electrocuted. Not to mention they both pose a significant fire risk.
Homeowners often ignore switches that are stuck in the on position. This results in appliances being plugged in and unplugged without the safety of first switching off the power.
Homeowners also have a dangerous habit of taping switches that they do not accidentally want to be switched off, in the ON position. For safety reasons, electricians strongly advise against doing this.
The grounding wire needs to have a slot. Electricians often come across receptacles with only two slots. These receptacles exclude the grounding wire, which is a very important safety feature of the electrical circuit.
Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GFCI) are important safety features, installed where for any outlets near water. They are usually found in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, and around the pool area. They trip the circuit breaker, stopping the flow of electricity if the circuit comes in contact with water.
The GFCIs need to be tested at least once a month. During electrical maintenance or inspections, it’s not uncommon for the electrician to find a faulty GFCI.
South Florida residents have entrusted all their electrical maintenance and repairs to Art Plumbing AC & Electric since 1983. Our qualified, experienced, licensed, and insured electricians pride themselves on safety, and will not overlook any electrical issue.
If you are unsure whether your home is electrically sound, give us a call to schedule an inspection. We can be contacted at 1-800-475-1504 Monday to Saturday between 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and on Sundays for emergencies.
For Immediate Emergency Assistance Call 1-800-475-1504