Sewer Repairs 101
The largest drain in your home is the sewerage system. It is prone to many different problems and it is important to keep an eye on it. This is to ensure that all problems are identified and fixed before they become serious and require costly emergency sewer repairs.
Most Common Problems
- Be on the lookout for tree roots. They can penetrate the drain lines and cause damage. This damage can be pipes breaking or the roots can get stuck in the pipes and cause a blockage. They can also grow around the pipes and crush them as they grow.
- Shifting soil can cause drain pipes to break, collapse, crack, or become misaligned.
- Blockage of drain pipes is the result of dirt, grease, or some object getting stuck in the pipes. This restricts water flow and can cause the pipes to overflow. Blocked pipes can be identified by gurgling sounds, water backing up into the drains, slow water drainage, or water from one fixture drains into another.
- Older drain pipes tend to disintegrate because of the materials they are made of or because they haven’t been replaced in a long time. These pipes can collapse and restrict water flow. The replacement of these pipes requires a lot of work. This includes digging trenches on your property to access and replace the pipes.
- It is important to make sure that your pipes are sealed properly. If they are not, they will leak and water will escape into the surrounding area.
- Drain caps are put in place to ensure that the smells of the sewer drains don’t escape. If you are noticing that your home smells like sewerage, the drain cap is most likely loose.
Preventing Common Sewer Problems
Have your septic tank regularly inspected. Once every 3 to 5 years is ideal. This can be done by a professional plumber who will inspect the tank for any cracks or damage. If the problem is identified early, it can be repaired quickly and will save you from future expensive replacements and sewer repairs.
It is important to be aware of and constantly check for any blockages. If you notice any blockages, clean the pipes immediately as this will prevent bigger problems in the future. However, if the damage is too serious, you may have to seek the help of a professional plumber to unblock the sewer line. They will have to use an inspection camera to check out what the problem is and then advise you on appropriate sewer repairs for the problem.
Inspect your drains and make sure that there are no leakages and that everything is sealed properly. Make sure that everything is tightened as it should be. This can be done by you, the homeowner, or you could get Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric to do regular inspections to see if any sewer repairs are necessary. This will ensure that your pipes remain in good condition and it will help you avoid the replacement of pipes which can be quite expensive and time-consuming.