As we approach the 22nd of March (World Water Day) the global water crisis deepens. This year we may likely see the first city in the world run out of water. Globally temperatures are on the rise, and clean water is becoming more and more scarce. Only 3% of Earth’s water is fresh and less than that percentage is available for human use.
Water use needs to be carefully considered if we are to enjoy a sustainable future on our blue planet. So too does wastage. A dripping faucet can waste more than 5 gallons of water each day! That’s about half of the water you use when you shower. That is nothing compared to the damage and loss caused by a burst water heater. This is why you need a 24 hour plumber’s number at hand. Art Plumbing, AC & Electric offers 24 hour plumbing service with up front flat rate pricing.
The theme for World Water Day is Nature for Water – how to overcome the water crises we are facing by using natural methods. A good example would be to have less water intensive plants and yards. On a global scale this is effective, but it all starts with you. Here are some simple tips start saving water:
- Put a brick into the toilet tank. Only flush the toilet when absolutely necessary. This will reduce the amount of water you use when you flush.
- Install a greywater recycling system (ask one of our friendly consultants at Art Plumbing, AC & Electric for advice on what type of system would suit your home.) Any water recovered this way can be used to flush the toilet or water the garden.
- Wash your car only when necessary.
- Install a drip irrigation system, as they are more efficient than using a hose.
- Install low flow faucets and shower heads.
- Shower instead of bathing and wash your hair less frequently.
- Plant a water wise garden that doesn’t need frequent watering.
- Use a broom rather than a pressure washer to clean concrete.
- Wash full loads of laundry.
- Add mulch around plants to prevent evaporation.
- Increase your mower’s ground clearance, thicker lawn means less evaporation.
As you can see there is so much that you can do to reduce your water consumption. Technology continues to make the world a smaller place, and it is more crucial than ever to do what you can towards a sustainable future. Art Plumbing, AC & Electric is committed to helping you along the way, whether it be in your home, garden, or office. Our 24 hour service, friendly technicians, 35 years of experience, and satisfaction guarantee will ensure that your problem (no matter how small) is quickly solved.
Let us leave you with a parting statistic from the World Water Day – today around 1.9 billion people live in potentially severely water-scarce areas. By 2050 this number could increase to around 3 billion people. You could be one of those 3 billion.