Search
Trusted South Florida Licensed Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electrical Experts Since 1983!
EMERGENCY HOTLINE 1-800-475-1504
Standard Rates Apply Mon-Sat 8am-8pm | Sunday – Emergency Service Only

The Importance Of Indoor Air Quality During COVID-19

Indoor Air Quality
Reading Time: 3 minutes

As the world slowly opens up after a period of lockdown, everyone is wondering: how can we best protect ourselves and our loved ones from the coronavirus? From daycare to classrooms to office spaces, including our own homes, we’re all struggling with making the right decisions for ourselves and our families.

One of the key prevention methods to stay healthy is air ventilation for optimum indoor air quality since COVID-19 is primarily spread through tiny water droplets in the air from when we speak. The experts at Art Plumbing, AC & Electric weigh in on how to ensure that the indoor air you breathe is as healthy as possible.

Why Indoor Air Quality Matters

While there’s technically no such thing as a “safe space” from the coronavirus, the chances of contracting it increase when spending time indoors – particularly when you’re with people that you don’t live with. Many people have formed quarantine “pods” of sorts, consisting of a select group of trusted friends or relatives that they will still socialize with and allow into their homes. But these pods aren’t as safe as people think; many people can still contract and spread the virus without realizing it since not everyone infected shows symptoms.

Vocal actions such as speaking, shouting, singing, and even breathing release respiratory aerosols. In small, enclosed spaces such as offices, classrooms, or your own living room, can cause these aerosols to build up and spread. Wearing face masks help prevent this spread, but they aren’t foolproof prevention tools.

Think of these aerosols as smoke from being inside a crowded bar where patrons are smoking. Even if not everyone is smoking, the air can still become thick and cloudy. The coronavirus is released in a very similar way.

Improving Ventilation And Air Quality

Having the right information about indoor air quality can help you ask better questions and make responsible decisions as you slowly return to normal life. To calculate ventilation rates, you’ll have to know the volume of the air outside per unit of time. To calculate the air change rate, you take the ventilation rate of a particular area and divide it by the space’s volume.

The answers to these calculations will tell you how quickly you can clear a room from possible contaminants in the air. The quicker you can clear out any airborne contaminants, the better chance you have to reduce your risk of virus transmission.

While many restaurants are spacing out their tables to protect their patrons, the reality is that the distance between parties matters less than the circulated, unventilated air in that space. Most heating and air conditioning units cycle only 20 percent of fresh air in the building. The remaining 80% of air is recirculated, which means you could still be breathing in air particles from customers at a table more than six feet away.

The standards for optimum air ventilation for specific buildings can be found at the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air-Conditioning Engineers.

Let Professional Air Experts Help

The above information may be confusing to the average person, who has likely never had to consider indoor air quality before. But for the technicians at Art Plumbing, AC & Electric, helping our customers receive optimum air quality is part of our business. We care about you and your family and want to help keep you all safe.

If you have questions or concerns about the air quality of your restaurant, classroom, or office, don’t hesitate to call us at 1-800-475-1504. You’ll quickly discover why we have been one of South Florida’s most trusted names in heating, cooling, and air quality since 1983.

SHARE ON

 

art plumbing, ac and electric

Schedule a Service Call

For Immediate Emergency Assistance Call 1-800-475-1504

Schedule Service