Top Energy Saving Tips from an Electrician
Are you struggling with high energy bills and feel you need to consult an electrician? We’ve put together a few top tips from our electricians to help you save electricity usage and minimize those monthly utility bills. Energy efficiency allows for the same service but at a lower energy cost to your household and to the environment. You will be able to make the energy efficiency change on your own but there are certain jobs that require the help of a professional electrician.
Inspection By An Electrician
Getting an electrician to assess your appliances and other items that may contribute to your energy bill, will ensure you leave no stone unturned. Receiving professional advice will save you valuable time in identifying the source of your problems. This will include your light bulbs, appliances, thermostats and air conditioning systems. A professional electrician can rewire circuits, install specialized upgrades and energy-enhancing technologies.
Upgrading Your Light Bulbs
- Incandescent light bulbs use more energy than LED bulbs. If you’re still using incandescent light bulbs, we suggest you swap these out with more energy efficient bulbs like compact fluorescents. This is a quick and easy task that makes a big impact. Although LED bulbs are more expensive than incandescent bulbs, they last longer and will ultimately save you money come month end.
- Faulty wiring or incorrect lighting usage could be contributing unnecessary costs which will need to be checked by an electrician to avoid further costs.
- Install a dimmer switch on your lights will allow you to use as much light as required at a time.
- Install motion sensors for your security lights so that they only burn when necessary instead of permanently.
Energy Efficient Appliances and Usage
- Although it may seem like spending money on newer and more energy efficient appliances doesn’t make sense at the time, it is indeed an investment. Old appliances can use up to double the amount of electricity than newly manufactured appliances. Appliances with the Energy Star seal have gone through stringent checks to make sure they meet energy standards. You will start to notice the difference in your energy costs and your purchase will begin to pay for itself in your monthly savings.
- Wash your clothes on a cool or warm setting instead of hot. This will require your washer to work less and therefore save energy. Make sure your washing loads are full. This will also save energy.
- Check the cooling settings on your refrigerator. This appliance is responsible for a vast amount of your home’s energy usage and cutting back on excessive temperatures will mean that your refrigerator needs less energy to cool. Make sure your door seal is tight and free from any gaps – this will prevent cool air from escaping.
Servicing Your AC System
Because your AC unit plays such a big role in the comfort of your home, it contributes a great percentage to your electric bill. If your cooling system is placed in direct sunlight, it will use more energy for cooling than necessary. Having professional AC technician service your AC every quarter will ensure that your system is working efficiently. Along with this, installing a “smart” thermostat which knows when you are home or away and adjusts accordingly will save you money significantly. Also remember to change your filters every 30 days – dirty air fitters cause your unit to work overtime and keeping them clean will assist in the optimum performance on a day-to-day basis.
Energy Saving Window Films
Having your windows fitted with energy saving window films will lower the temperature inside of your home by filtering sunlight and reducing heat build up and sun glare, while still allowing natural light in. The result is a more comfortable climate in your home and lower energy bills.
If you want to learn more about energy efficient solutions for your home then give Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric a call at 1-800-475-1504 and we can walk you through all you need to know in lowering your energy bills.