Trusted South Florida Licensed Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electrical Experts Since 1983!
EMERGENCY HOTLINE 1-800-475-1504
Hours of Operation: Monday – Saturday 8am – 7pm

How Faulty Wire Repair Can Prevent A Disaster

faulty wire repair
Reading Time: 3 minutes

The Importance Of Faulty Wire Repair

Electrical wiring faults can cause major issues for homeowners, leading to extreme damage and expense if not repaired and cared for regularly. Many – if not most – home fires are caused due to a failure to repair faulty wires. Statistics show that nearly 500 Americans die and just under 2,500 more are injured in home fires due to damaged electrical wiring. It is vital that homeowners maintain proper care and checkups on their wiring systems by calling in professionals to do the job properly. This will help prevent loss of property and in the worst cases – life!

How Do I Know If My Wiring Is Faulty?

The bottom line is: if in doubt, call a professional. This will ensure that if there is an existing problem, it will be immediately noticed and fixed, leaving you with peace of mind. However, there are some tell-tale signs that every homeowner should be on the lookout for.

  • Continual Tripping

    Most homes these days are installed with modern circuit breakers that have replaced fuse boxes. Commonly, circuit breakers can trip and turn off the electrical circuit. If this happens frequently, it is likely that its safety capacity is being exceeded due to overloading, or it could signal a short circuit somewhere in the wiring system. If ignored, both of these issues could cause dangerous fires.

  • Faulty Lights And Appliances

    Electrical appliances and light fixtures should never buzz, shock you or vibrate when turned on. In addition, they should never be hot to the touch! If this is indeed the case, a licensed electrician must be called.

  • Unlicensed Electricians

    Signs of damage such as cable splices or frayed wires are extremely hazardous! They can also be signs of a substandard electrical job. If you or a previous owner have employed an unlicensed electrician to repair damage or perform work in your home, it is important that you follow up with a licensed professional to review and correct the previous work done.

  • Aluminum Wiring

    Aluminum wiring which was once common can cause majors problems, due to the fact that unlike copper wiring, aluminum expands and contracts with the temperature changes. This can cause loose connections and lead to fire. Consider replacing aluminum wiring with copper wiring.

  • Burning Smells

    If you detect a burning smell, especially of something electrical, call a professional electrician company immediately! Most warning signs of electrical fires are not visible, neither do they give off a smell or color. Thus, if a smell is detected, count yourself lucky and hurry to get someone in the fix the problem as soon as possible!

Preventing Electrical Fires Or Other Disasters

Although wires are not built to last forever, there are steps you can take in order to prevent serious damage such as electrical fires.

  1. Ensure you have your electrical wiring inspected regularly by a licensed professional – this is especially important if you live in an older home where the wiring might be in need of repair or replacement, or if the wiring is made from aluminum and not copper.
  2. During inspection, look out for frayed or tattered wires. If such wires are detected they will need to be replaced. This is because damaged cables can overheat, cause sparks and even start fires.
  3. Be careful not to overload power outlets! This is a common cause of fires in homes. Overloading occurs when too many electrical appliances are plugged in to the same power outlet or extension cord. One solution is to buy power strips that are fitted with internal overload protection, meaning that the power will shut off the moment the usage exceeds the limit.
  4. Make sure to keep appliances such as irons, dryers and even lamps away from flammable materials. For example, never hide wires underneath carpets because if they overheat, the material can easily catch fire. Also keep electrical wires away from water!

Always call a licensed electrician like Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric to do any electrical work on your home – these professionals will do the job properly and allow you to have peace of mind that your faulty wires are repaired and in good condition.


art plumbing, ac and electric

Schedule a Service Call

For Immediate Emergency Assistance Call 1-800-475-1504

Schedule Service