Reading Time: 3 minutes
Electrical rewiring isn’t something that should be taken lightly. While every household may need the services of an electrical professional every now and then – rewiring your home is not something you should leave to chance by attempting a DIY (do it yourself). You may think that you understand the process after spending a solid 60 minutes in-front of your computer reading articles and watching videos, but unfortunately, real life isn’t that simple.
While, we don’t advise you to attempt any form of DIY electrical rewiring in your home, knowing a few tips may come in handy. You’ll be able to ensure that the reliable electrician you have hired is doing a proper job. It’s important to be safety conscious when rewiring your home – if you are trying to DIY it and you’re not careful, you will end up losing your home to an electrical fire.
Steps Your Electrician Needs To Take
- First your electrician needs to ensure that there is no power in and around the specific work area. This is so that he does not suffer from any form of electrical shock or burn when working on the wires. Yes – you can shut off the power, but it’s always important to test that there is no current running through any of the wires.
- Your electrician will need to check the amperage (amp) rating, which is the maximum amount of current that the wiring can handle. While standard circuits are generally 15amp or 20amp, the circuitry for appliances is double that amount if not more. Your electrician will need to make sure that the circuit has the correct amp rating for its intended usage.
- Check the connections. If the connections between the conductors are not tight enough, you could have a fire hazard. Tight connections between the wires and the metal contacts of your outlet will ensure that there is no risk of a fire hazard due to the loose connection letting electricity arch between contract points, which creates a high heat that could be hazardous.
- Your electrician needs to use your household grounding system. This is fundamental to the protection of your household electrical system. Grounded wires provide a safe outlet for any stray currents or faults in your wiring. With proper polarization the current will traverse from the source to reach neutral wiring. This is not a task you can do alone, you absolutely need a professional for this.
- Each connection needs to be properly housed in an electrical box. This will ensure that the connection is protected and the members of your household won’t be exposed to accidental contact with the connections. This forms an important part of the National Electrical Code which all licensed electricians need to adhere to. If you attempt to tackle this on your own, you could violate the codes and will not be covered by insurance if disaster strikes.
The Benefits of Hiring a Licensed Electrician
- Safety First
Saving on cost may seem like a great reason to DIY electrical rewiring, remember that the contents of your home as well as your life are valued a lot higher than paying for a professional. A licensed electrician will also make sure that the necessary safety precautions are taken.
A licensed electrician will be a lot more efficient and competent than you would be at rewiring your home electrical circuits. They will make sure that there are no unnecessary complications regardless of the age of the wiring that is being worked on. Hiring a licensed electrician will also save you a lot of time as he’ll know exactly what needs to be done and can do the job a lot faster than you can, while ensuring that everything is done to code.
- Risk Avoidance
By hiring a licensed electrician to handle your rewiring you’ll be avoiding hazardous risks, which may end up costing you a lot more than you bargained for. Improperly installed wiring can cause fire hazards, power failure throughout your home and there is the risk of electrocution. With an electrician, you don’t need to worry about any of these risks.
The rules regarding electrical work, differs in each state. Instead of taking an unnecessary risk, check that your home’s electrical wiring is up to code by hiring a licensed electrician. The friendly and reliable team at Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric are at your service. Don’t worry if there’s something amiss with your homes wiring –Art Can Fix It!