Reading Time: 3 minutes
The holiday season brings with it lifted spirits and excited children. It is a time for family bonding and memories to be made. With all of this happening, we often forget to make sure that all the decorations and electrical appliances are in safe working condition. Electricity, if not handled with care, has the power to take the joy out of your holiday season. Electrical home fires thanks to faulty wiring are sadly very common during this season but can easily be prevented. Knowing the warning signs and taking preventative measures is the best that you can do. If you are still concerned that there is an issue, call Art Plumbing, AC &Electric to help keep your holiday spirits lifted and put your mind at ease.
Electricians aren’t the only ones able to catch the warning signs of electrical problems in your home. Once you know what to look for, the signs are easy to pick up on and could end up saving your family a lot of heartache. Look out for things like:
- Flickering lights
- Foreign smell coming from an outlet
- Sparks flying
- Buzzing sounds
- Breakers that keep tripping
- Switches or outlets that shock
Tips To Ensure The Safety Of Your Home
The holiday season is a time of joy, festivities and family and friends. Electricity gives us the power to decorate and light up our homes during this happy season. However, getting wrapped up in the thrill of it all, we often forget just how dangerous electricity can be. Faulty wiring can bring devastation and darkness into a time meant for love and light to be shared. Use these tips to make sure you keep the festive spark alight:
- New or old, inspect all lights, electrical decorations and extension cords for any sign of damage. Decorations, lights and cords with frayed wires or loose connections should be disposed of rather than repaired. If ignored, they could lead to an electrical fire.
- Keeping up the mood, Christmas lights are often kept on for long periods of time. Every now and then it is a good idea to check the temperature of the wires. If the wires are warm, unplug the lights or decoration as there is an electrical issue that may lead to greater damage.
- Avoid pulling on the wires of lights and decorations as this may damage the wires. Remove them carefully and store them loosely to ensure another year of use is possible.
- As mentioned, faulty wiring is the leading cause of house fires. It has been shown, however, that one of the leading causes of faulty wiring is an overloaded circuit. To prevent overloading a circuit, plug only one appliance that uses a lot of electricity into an outlet at a time.
- Avoid causing frayed wires or loose connections from happening by making sure no wires are caught between furniture or run beneath rugs. This is an easy way to ensure that your home is safe.
- You’re allowed to be proud of your decorations and want to show them off to your neighbors when they can be seen in all their glory. It is however necessary that you switch them off before you leave home or go to bed.
It is always a good idea to call a qualified electrician for an inspection before the holiday season begins. It will provide the peace of mind in knowing that your home electrical system is in good condition, allowing you to focus on the more important aspects this season brings with it. If you do not want a full inspection, keep in mind the warning signs of faulty wiring – it could save your home. To ensure the safety of your family and home, follow these simple tips.
Don’t get burned, call Art Plumbing, AC & Electric. With over 30 years’ experience, we can ensure that your holiday season is one to remember, for all the right reasons.