Reading Time: 2 minutes
It is common knowledge that electricity is dangerous. We warn our children not to put their fingers in the wall sockets or take electric appliances into the bathroom, all of which we have control over. The real danger is not knowing that there is an electrical problem in your home or property. Understanding the warning signs of different issues could help in determining the types of electrical repairs you need to keep your home safe.
Flickering lights, tripping breakers, shocking switches or abnormal smells or sounds are some of the common and important warning signs to take note of. There are measures you as a home owner can take to prevent it from getting worse, but electrical repairs are tricky so calling a professional from Art Plumbing, AC & Electric to fix the problem is recommended.
Lights Flicker And Dim
Lights flickering or dimming constantly are an obvious sign that there is an electrical problem. Poor wiring connection or too many appliances run off of one circuit could be the cause. It could also be a low voltage supply meaning that the bulbs are not receiving the correct amount of power. If after checking that the bulb is secure and the flickering continues to happen often, call an electrician for assistance.
Breakers Are Tripping
A circuit breaker is a safety precaution. It trips when the amount of electricity running through the circuit is more than it can handle. The tripping stops electricity from flowing through the circuit, preventing the possibility of an electrical fire starting. If the circuit trips often, try unplugging some appliances that draw a lot of electricity. A solution would be to add another circuit or to consider upgrading your electrical services. Turn off the main breaker and wait for an electrician to determine the problem.
When a switch or outlet begins to buzz audibly it is a warning sign that action needs to be taken. If the problem is with the connection, it means that current between the metal wire contacts inside the switch is arcing. Arcing refers to a current that jumps between metal parts, instead of flowing continuously through metal pathways. If the problem is the switch, it could be a loose connection.
More often than not, an odd smell precedes an electrical fire. A short that has caused a spark may also be followed by a strange smell. A short refers to when wires of opposite polarity touch and cause a spark or trip the circuit breaker, or the earth leakage. To ensure that there is no further damage, turn off the circuit breaker and call an electrician
Switches And Outlets That Shock
Small shocks from a switch or outlet usually speaks to a wire that is shorting. If the shocking persists, the outlet or switch may need to be replaced by a professional.
Owners of older buildings may need to replace wiring sooner than they think. Worn-out wiring and electrical malfunctions can cause blackouts and fires. Ignoring these warning signs can turn a small problem into a huge problem. These issues have abilities that range from destroying an appliance with a power surge, to starting a fire that leaves your family homeless or your employees jobless.
If you encounter any of the above signs, the safest thing to do is switch off your power and call a professional electrical company like Art Plumbing, AC & Electric. With over 30 years’ experience serving South Florida customers we are a trusted, full-service electrical company that offers our clients prompt, reliable, thorough service.