Reading Time: 2 minutes
When your electricity goes out at home, the first thing to do is to find an electrician. Most companies should have an emergency contact number that is used for immediate assistance. Because you might not know the cause of the electricity outage, it is best to call a professional to ensure you are safe and that the situation is efficiently resolved. Power outages can occur at any time of the day or night. Once you are able to reach out to an electrician, it is also good to know what to do while you are waiting for them to arrive.
Electricity outages can be a real pain. This is especially true if you are not prepared for one or if you are unsure about what to do before an electrician arrives to sort out the problem. Follow these general tips to stay away from danger AND boredom.
The practical stuff
- Electricity outages are often due to unavoidable causes such as a storm or an incident with the power lines in your area. With that being said, it can be a good idea to check your trip switch to make sure that that is not the problem. Having regular maintenance and a general understanding of your home’s electrical systems will maximize safety and keep unnecessary issues at bay.
- Have a look out your neighbors’ homes to see if the problem is just with your house or the whole street. If it is the latter, call your electricity supplier so that they are aware of the outage.
- Investing in a small generator to provide some of the more essential energy is a good way to get through those outages.
- Have a few candles and torches available for when the electricity goes off. Just make sure that you keep an eye on the candles and that they are lit safely and kept in safe places (such as away from curtains).
- Open fridge and freezer doors as little as possible so as to retain the cold and keep food fresh.
- There could be a power surge when the electricity goes back on so turning off electronic components is a good idea.
- If it is a hot day, make sure that you stay hydrated. Having a swim or a cool shower helps while the AC is off.
- During the cooler months, make sure that you are dressed warmly.
The fun stuff
Electronics occupy so much of our time. It can be good to have a break every now and then, even if that break is forced due to an outage.
- If the weather allows it, go for a walk or ride a bike
- Hang out with friends face to face.
- Do something creative like writing or drawing or a craft that you have always wanted to do but haven’t had the time to try.
- Be your own entertainment! Sing and dance around the house.
- If all else fails, sit in a corner and count the seconds until the electricity comes back on and try to remember that this is not the end of the world!
We are often only made aware of how dependent we are on electricity once it goes off. But there are ways of making power outages more bearable and even making great use of them while waiting for your electrician! Just make sure you are prepared for them and that you contact a professional company such as Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric to sort out the issue safely and efficiently.