Reading Time: 2 minutes
Duct cleaning may not be something you’d have on your everyday to do list but you need to remember that duct cleaning is a necessary task when it comes to your HVAC as it will ensure the longevity of your HVAC system and it may reduce the amount of indoor air pollution. Your air ducts see the worst of your home, while continuously providing you with cool clean air. It collects all debris, pet dander, dust, flakes of dead skin and even hair, and while the thought of that may make you cringe, it’s an unavoidable truth. If you don’t get your ducts cleaned, you can end up creating a breeding ground for mold spores, bacteria and dust mites.
Signs Your Air Ducts Need to be Cleaned
- Check your air vents to see if they’re coated in dust or debris.
- Check to see if there is significant build-up of dust or debris on your air registers – this is something that a professional AC technician would be able to help you with.
- While you should be changing your AC filter regularly, if your filter is coated in debris, it will have an impact on your duct system.
- If there is any noticeable mold growth, it may indicate a problem with your ductwork. This will need to be cleaned as soon as possible as mold can cause serious respiratory problems. – this is something that a professional AC technician would be able to help you with.
- Take note of any droppings or what appear to be husks from molting, this is a definitive indicator of vermin and insects in your ductwork. – this is something that a professional AC technician would be able to help you with.
Why Duct Cleaning Matters
- Dirty ducts are energy inefficient and will cause your utility bills to be higher. This is due to the fact that clogged ductwork restricts your HVAC Units ability to perform efficiently as it limits the airflow, so your unit has to work longer and harder to ensure that your home is cool enough.
- The more your unit runs the more wear and tear your HVAC system undergoes. This will affect the lifespan of your unit, and you may have to choose between repairing or replacing your HVAC unit.
- If you don’t regularly maintain your air ducts you may inadvertently create a breeding ground for mold, bacteria and even insects.
- If you have a genuine dislike for dusting off your furniture, you may want to get your ducts cleaned. Dirty ducts will contribute to the spread of dust and even allergens in your home.
According to research done by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, your ductwork should be cleaned approximately every three to five years, but if someone in your home is susceptible to airborne allergens such as pollen or dust, you should get your ducts seen to every two years. This will ensure that your indoor air quality is not compromised.
It is important to look after your AC ductwork, but cleaning your ducts is not something that just anyone can do. You need professional reliable service that comes with a guarantee and at Art Plumbing, AC & Electric; we will provide you with just that. Remember, at Art Plumbing, AC & Electric – We can fix it!