Reading Time: 3 minutes
When you know how to prevent clogged drains, it will save you time, money and hassle in the future. It’s easy to assume that drains will never get clogged, but we believe in a prevention strategy above all. This means that you need to be able to take good care of your drains and plumbing in order to prevent a clogged drain.
The truth is, a lot of unsuspecting debris, such as hair or coffee grains, can end up clogging your drains.
Take a look below as we explore a couple of our top tips for preventing clogged drains and a few things you can do to keep your drains clean to prevent further issues.
Our Top Prevention Tips
Prevention is always better than cure they say, and at Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric, we are all for preventing clogged drains. Not only will it save your plumbing system potential pressure and damage, but it will also create a healthier environment for you and your family.
Take A Look At Some Of Our Top Prevention Tips:
- Be aware of what you allow to go down your kitchen drains: there are some things that should not go near your drains and it is easy to dispose of them in the right places. For example, leftover fibrous foods, coffee grounds, and grease can be thrown into the trash instead of being put down your drain.
- Clear out hair or soap build up from drains in your bathroom: soap build-up or hair collecting in your drains can cause issues. It’s important to regularly remove and clear drain areas. Another option is to brush through your hair before you hop into the shower, this will remove most of the hair before it ends up going down your drain.
- Be careful what you flush: toilets are not built to manage huge quantities of toilet paper, some sanitary products, or foreign objects such as dental products or Q-tips. Make sure you only flush human waste and toilet paper to prevent issues.
For any emergency drain clearing give Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric a call today.
How To Keep Your Drains Clean
Keeping your drains clean on a consistent basis is a great way to take care of them so that you don’t face any issues with clogging. Think of it in the same way you would take a shower or brush your teeth. These are daily habits that you nurture so that you don’t get hurt or sick because of bad hygiene.
Here are some of the steps you can take to ensure your drains remain clog-free:
- Clean your drains, tub and shower regularly (once a week if you can): It’s great to deep clean everything around your drains at least once a month, but on a weekly basis it is useful to clear out anything blocking them such as hair in the shower drain or tub. You will also want to wipe areas around drains to prevent any build up.
- Flush your drains out: fill your tub with warm water and then remove the plug to flush out your drains weekly. You can do the same with your shower by letting warm water run through for a few minutes.
- Use a bacterial drain cleaner once a month: this will prevent viruses and infectious build-up from clogging drains and causing issues. We recommend BioClean®; the safe drain cleaning alternative to other caustic drain cleaners.
If your drains are clogged, the best thing to do is to call Art Plumbing, Air Conditioning & Electric, for reliable drain clearing services. Get in touch with one of South Florida’s finest technicians today at 1-800-475-1504.