Reading Time: 3 minutes
Air conditioning units are very much like cars; we use them every day, demand constant performance from them, and generally expect them to work well at all times. Like every other machine, AC’s do get worn out over time and just like your car, they need to get serviced and checked out after all the hard work they do.
One thing you don’t want is to reach that point when your unit suddenly stops working in the middle of a scorching day in summer. This is why it is important to get it checked out twice a year. We recommend you call out a specialized technician to service your unit at the beginning of each new summer and winter season. Have them repair all the damage incurred since the previous check up and make sure it is able to take on the hot summer days to come.
Maintaining your air conditioning regularly will help it last much longer. This is why getting a qualified licensed provider to repair your unit is extremely important.
There are many things that you can do to keep your air conditioning running properly for the years ahead.
- First of all make sure you get your AC serviced by a certified and professional AC technician. Don’t fall prey to cheap and unqualified services as they will cost more you in the long run.
- Don’t forget to change the batteries of your thermostat. Without a thermostat your unit won’t function. We recommend you replace the batteries once a year. One way to remember this important task is to set a reminder on your phone or calendar to change them together with the smoke alarm batteries.
- One of the critical elements of your air conditioning system is the huge fan inside it. To make sure this runs properly, keep it free from grass trimmings, leaves, and any other obstructive things that could wind up getting inside and damaging your unit.
- Another important thing to keep checking is the drain line that leads excess water from your AC unit outside your house and make sure it is free of blockages.
- A good idea is to change the air filter of your air conditioning unit every month. Don’t be tempted to cut costs on this as it really makes a difference to the longevity of your unit as well as to your own health.
- Perhaps consider investing in an efficient or electrostatic filter. This functions in a similar way to your car radiator. Although the initial outlay is more expensive it will be far more cost effective in the long run. This type of filter will help to look after the coils and maintain a cleaner unit while lasting longer than conventional filters.
- Keep an eye out for any small signs of trouble and address as soon as you notice them. The longer you allow small issues to linger the worse a problem will become. This could also cause your electricity bill to increase as your air conditioning unit draws more power when not functioning properly – just like your car would guzzle more fuel when it isn’t in peak condition.
- Watch out for any leaks, funny noises or drain pan overflows. Consult a professional technician to make an assessment for you before deciding to get a new air conditioning.
A quick tip when hiring a technician for repairs is to make sure that you have all the information about your unit on hand. This will make things easier for you as, over the phone, the technician will then be able to gain a better idea of what he will be dealing with. You can get most of the information you need by checking the side of the outside condenser such as the name of manufacturer, model number, and serial number.
It’s always best to contact a certified and community trusted air conditioning specialist for repairs and maintenance. South Floridians have been trusting the technicians at Art plumbing, AC and Electric with all their air conditioning queries since 1983. So contact us today if you have any doubts or questions about maintaining your unit.